Our vision is of a world where God's love is shown through loving, respectful, and flourishing relationships.
Aim & Purpose
To demonstrate the Christian faith in action by the transformation of communities worldwide through the nurture of the family in its many forms.
- To promote and support married life
- To encourage parents in their role to develope the faith of their children
- To maintain a worldwide fellowship of Christians united in prayer, worship and service
- To promote conditions in society favourable to stable family life and the protection of children
- To help those whose family life has met with adversity
Mothers' Union is firmly rooted in a voluntary ethos. Its governance, leadership, and programmes are driven by and undertaken through members around the world as they respond to God's call to faith and action.
- We believe in the value of each individual and their unique qualities
- We believe in the value of relationships. Jesus said "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbour as yourself."
- We believe in the value of the family in its many forms as a source of love and support for individuals and the basis for a caring community
Mary Sumner House
The national Mothers' Union website is a source of information about the worldwide organisation, national projects, monthly prayers and resources for members.
- We are WOMEN but not always (MEN belong as well)
- We are MARRIED but not always (Some of us are SINGLE or DIVORCED)
- We are MOTHERS but not always (Some of us do not have children)
- We are MEMBERS OF THE C of E But not always (some of us attend other Churches)
- We are not limited in our Age range
- We often meet monthly
- We support MU projects overseas and educate women to provide for their families
- But some of us are Carers or Working-so we are DIOCESAN MEMBERS
- We support our scheme for HOLIDAYS FOR THOSE IN NEED
- We give goods to the WOMENS’ REFUGES & LOCAL SAFE HOUSES
- We care for you, your family and your community
- We campaign to protect children in society
- We support our LOCAL CLERGY and CHURCHES
- We regard PRAYER as a vital part of our lives
Mothers' Union Prayer
Loving Lord, we thank you for your love so freely given to us all.
We pray for families around the world.
Bless the work of the Mothers' Union as we seek to share your love
through the encouragement, strengthening and support of marriage and family life.
Empowered by your Spirit, may we be united in prayer and worship,
and in love and service reach out as your hands across the world.
In Jesus' name. Amen
Mary Sumner's Prayer
All this day, O Lord,
let me touch as many lives as possible for thee,
and every life I touch do thou by thy Spirit quicken,
whether through the word I speak,
the prayer I breathe or the life I live.
Mothers' Union Website: